Benefits for the Carer and Cared for 2018-2019

Carers Allowance

Carer's Allowance is the main state benefit for carers who are looking after someone for 35 hours a week or more. It is important to find out if you can receive it. Carer's Allowance is currently worth £64.60 a week.  

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a new benefit from the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) available to working-age people who are in or out of employment or who are in work on a low income.  It rolls out across the whole of Newham from this week and is usually claimed online.

For detailed information about Universal Credit go to

Where can you get support?

         or call 020 8430 2041 or visit Unit 61 at Stratford Shopping Centre.

Income Support:

If you are caring for someone and getting carers allowance you will be entitled to income support, your savings will still be taken into account when working out if you are entitled to Income Support.                            

Employment and Support Allowance:

You may get Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) if your illness or disability affects your ability to work and you are: under state pension age, not getting Statutory Sick Pay or Statutory Maternity Pay and you haven’t gone back to work, not getting Jobseeker’s Allowance. You can apply for ESA if you’re employed, self-employed, unemployed or a student on Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment.

Disability Living Allowance:

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children may help with the extra costs of looking after a child who is under 16 years. There are two parts to the benefit, they are the Care and Mobility Components, your child may be entitled to one or both of these.

Personal  Independence Payment:

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) helps with some of the extra costs caused by long-term ill-health or a disability if you are aged 16 to 64.

Attendance Allowance:

This is a benefit for disabled people aged 65 or over, who find it difficult to care for themselves because of a disability or lon

g term health problem.

Child Tax Credit:

You could get Child Tax Credit for children you are responsible for if they are: under 16, under 20 and in approved education or training, you don’t need to be working to claim Child Tax Credit, new claimants will get money for two children that qualify and Child Tax Credit won’t affect your Child Benefit, you cannot claim tax credits and universal credit at the same time.

Working Tax Credit:

You qualify for working tax credit if you (or your partner) are in full time paid work (over 30 hours), you are aged from 16 to 24 and have a child or a qualifying disability, you are 25 or over, with or without children, have an income below a certain level.

Family Fund:

The grant request relates to the needs of a disabled or seriously ill child, young person aged 17 years or under and their family. This might be furniture, clothing, bedding, kitchen appliances, sensory toys, computers or tablets, a family break, or maybe something to help with college for 16 and 17 year olds.

Housing Benefit:

You could get Housing Benefit to help you pay your rent if you’re on a low income and you are: a council tenant, a housing association tenant in a shared-ownership scheme (but only for the rental part of the agreement) or renting private accommodation.

Council Tax Benefit:

You could be eligible if you’re on a low income or claim benefits. Your bill could be reduced by up to 100%. You can apply if you own your home, rent, are unemployed or working.

What you get depends on: where you live - each council runs its own scheme, your circumstances (e.g. income, number of children, benefits, residency status), your household income - this includes savings, pensions and your partner’s income, if your children live with you or if other adults live with you.

Help with Health Costs:

If you are in receipt of certain benefits, you may be exempt from health charges. If you have a low income, you may be able to get help to pay health costs through the low income scheme.

Travel concessionsFreedom Pass:

You may be eligible for a Freedom Pass if you live in a London borough and meet the specific age criteria or have an eligible disability.

Taxi Card:

The London Taxi Card Scheme provides subsidised transport in taxis and private hire vehicles(minicabs)for people who have serious mobility or visual impairments and who find it very difficult or impossible to use mainstream public transport such as buses and tubes. Taxi card is for long term disabilities, lasting at least one year, not for short term problems such as broken legs etc.

Blue Badge Scheme:

The Blue Badge Scheme is an important service for people with severe mobility problems that enables badge holders to park close to where they need to go.

 Enquiry Lines are as follows:

  • Income Support and Employment Support Allowance 0800 055 6688
  • Carers Allowance 0345 608 4321
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP) applications 0800 917 2222
  • PIP inquiries 0345 850 3322
  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA) 0345 712 3456


Other Websites: